Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blog #6

Write about your first impression of what you've read so far in What Johnny Shouldn't Read. Are you surprised, shocked, horrified, intrigued, disgusted, or some other adjective, by it?

I am mostly intrigued by the book. I am amazed at the things that people think is okay to censor. The part that interested me was the fact that college textbooks are not as censored as they are in elementary and high school. It would be a shock to these kids to find out things they could have been learning all this time, to learn in college. Are we setting our kids back by withholding information, or are we protecting them? I am curious to know if they have done a study to see how this effects the children. I know as a parent I withhold information from my children but what is too much. As a parent, you struggle with this question almost every day of your child's life. How much television do you let them watch? How much desert should they have? How much should I protect them? In short, I deal with censorship everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment